Drew Soicher and Susie Wargin won first and second place awards, respectively, in the Sports Anchor category. 9NEWS Meteorologist Kathy Sabine claimed a second place award for Best Weathercaster. 9Wants to Know investigative reporter Deborah Sherman won the award for Best Specialty Reporter. Additionally, the new 9NEWS.com took top honors as best website.
9NEWS Vice President and News Director Patti Dennis said, "More than ever, we view our personal relationship with our consumers across our broadcast, web and mobile platforms as the true measure of success in our community. It is extremely gratifying to have our efforts on behalf of our viewers and users recognized with this award. To win 12 years in a row is a real testament to the high quality and consistency of our work throughout the years."
4 o'clock at 9NEWS, anchored by Koebrich and Kim Christiansen, beat out the 5 p.m. newscast on KMGH to win the Best Regularly Scheduled Full Newscast award. 4 o'clock entertainment reporter Kirk Montgomery won the award for best public service announcement for his personal story of bullying and the message, "It gets better."
The CBA further honored former 9NEWS General Manager Joe Franzgrote with the Harry W. Hoth Public Service Award for his contributions to the Denver community. 9NEWS President and General Manager Mark Cornetta said "It is especially gratifying to see that Joe Franzgrote was recognized for his many years of community service and dedication to the people and organizations in our community. Joe was a pioneer and someone who deeply cared about the community we serve. That legacy lives on today thanks to his passion and vision." Franzgrote passed away in March 2010.
A complete list of 9NEWS winners appears below.
- Best Public Service Announcement: (1st) 'It Gets Better;' Kirk Montgomery, 9NEWS Promotions
- Best Community Service Project or Campaign: (1st) 9 Cares Colorado Shares; Lynne Valencia and Alycia Gleave
- Best Single Public Affairs Program: (2nd) Decision 2010 ~ 7th CD Debate; Adam Schrager, Christy Tetzler
- Best Promotional Campaign for a Station: (2nd) Moss Means Business; Gregg Moss, Steve Carter, Andy Schaeffer
- Best Single Spot for a Station: (2nd) Picture Perfect; Steve Carter, Chad Maurer, Andy Schaeffer
- Best Graphics and/or Animation for a Station: (1st) 'Rated G3;' Gannett Graphics Group
- Best Single Sports Program or Play-by-Play, Outside a Newscast: (1st) Overtime; Rod Mackey, Wade Steiner, Brian Olson, John Kuhrt
- Best Commercial Advertising Spot for an Advertiser: (1st) Dependable Cleaners - Bobby Springer; (2nd) Longmont United Hospital - Bobby Springer
- Best Advertising Sales Promotion for an Advertiser: (2nd) Weather Call Map; Steve Carter, Andy Schaeffer
- Best News Feature: (1st) Blind Runner - Chris Vanderveen and Corky Scholl; (2nd) The Senator & the Gangster - TaRhonda Thomas and Corky Scholl
- Best General, Hard News or In-Depth Coverage: (2nd) An Unexpected Life; Cheryl Preheim and Ken Mostek
- Best Photo Essay with No Reporter Narrative: (1st) Keys to the City - Anne Herbst; (2nd) Remembering Lennon - Ken Mostek
- Best Regularly Scheduled Full Newscast: (1st) 4 O'Clock at 9NEWS; Kathy Vitale, Bob Pusatory and 9NEWS Staff
- Best News Anchor or Team: (1st) Mark Koebrich; (2nd) Cheryl Preheim
- Best Weathercaster: (2nd) Kathy Sabine
- Best Sportscaster: (1st) Drew Soicher; (2nd) Susie Wargin
- Best Specialty Reporter: (1st) Deborah Sherman
- Best Website: (1st) 9NEWS.com; Linda Kotsaftis, Tim Dietz, 9NEWS.com staff
(KUSA-TV © 2011 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)