Makes 12 servings
• 2 cups Veggie stock or broth
• 1 ounces dried porcini or Fresh Shitakes mushrooms
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 1/2 cup chopped celery
• 1/2 cup chopped green apple
• 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt,
• 1 1/2 cups Rudi's Gluten-Free Bakery bread (either Cinnamon Raisin or Multigrain), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
• 1/3 cup dried cherries
• 1/3 cup chopped pecans
• 1 whole eggs, beaten
• 1 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh sage
• 1 teaspoons dried parsley
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh parsley
• 1/4teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Heat the veggie broth in the sauce pan to simmer, remove from heat. If using dried mushrooms, place mushrooms in bowl and pour heated broth over them. Cover and allow to sit for 35 minutes. If using fresh shitakes, skip this step.
In a large mixing bowl toss the onion, celery, and green apple (and shitakes if not using dried mushrooms) with the oil and salt. Place the vegetables on a sheet pan and roast for 35 minutes. During the last 10 minutes of cooking, remove the sheet pan and spread the Rudi's Gluten-Free Bakery bread over the vegetables. Return the pan to the oven and continue cooking.
If using dried mushrooms, drain the mushrooms, reserving 1 cup ONLY of the liquid. Chop the mushrooms.
Chop the mushrooms and place in a large oven proof bowl with the vegetables and bread, reserved chicken stock, cherries, pecans, eggs, sage, parsley and black pepper. Stir well in order to break up pieces of bread. Use your hands to combine, if necessary.
Heat the stuffing in the oven to warm up.
Gluten-free bread pudding
Created by Justin Cucci, Root Down chef and owner
Makes 20 servings
BREAD PUDDING CUSTARD
- 4 eggs
- 1 quart milk
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- .25 teaspoon salt
-4 loaves of Rudi's Gluten-Free Bakery Cinnamon Raisin Bread
Blend all ingredients with the stick blender.
Soak approximately 4 loaves of Rudi's Gluten-Free Bakery Original Sandwich Bread broken into pieces for about 30-45 minutes in the mixture.
Bake at 325 till golden brown and baked through.
Stranahans Whiskey Sauce
- 1/2 pound whole butter
- .25 cups water
- .5 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- .25 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 each Egg
- pinch cayenne
- 1/2 cups stranahan's whiskey
Melt butter, sugar, and water in saucepan. In separate pan, reduce whiskey by half. Add the burned off whiskey to the first saucepan with the nutmeg, cayenne and salt. In a bowl, blend the eggs with a stick wand and once blended, temper into the bourbon sauce slowly. Remove from heat.
Add the sauce to the bread pudding custard. Best served when slightly hot.
Gluten-free pumpkin pie recipe
Yield: one 9-inch pie
- 1/2 recipe Pamela's Easy Pie Crust (see below)
- cup organic cane sugar
- 1/3 cup organic brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoons fresh grated Ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh Tarragon, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups organic pumpkin puree (one 15 oz. can)
- 2 organic brown eggs
- 1-1/2 cups organic evaporated milk (one 12 oz. can)
- 1/3 cup organic shredded coconut, lightly toasted
Preheat oven to 350°.
Prepare Pamela's Easy Pie Crust, divide in two equal parts, and use one part to form a shell in a 9-inch pie pan. Refrigerate until ready to bake pie.
In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, tarragon, nutmeg, and sea salt.
In a larger bowl, combine pumpkin puree, eggs, and evaporated milk. Mix to incorporate eggs fully. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin puree mixture and whisk to combine well. Carefully pour pie filling into unbaked crust.
Bake pie on bottom rack of 350° oven until pie is set but the center still jiggles slightly, about 50 minutes.
Cool pie completely on a wire rack before serving. Top with sprinkles of toasted coconut, enjoy!
Easy pie crust
Yield: two, 9-inch pie crusts
- 1 bag (3-1/2 cups) Pamela's Gluten-Free Bread Mix (do not use the yeast packet)
- 8 Tbsp organic unsalted butter, chilled
8 Tbsp Earth Balance shortening, chilled
- 7 to 8 Tbsp ice cold water
In a bowl, cut chilled butter and shortening into Pamela's Gluten-Free Bread Mix with two knives or a pastry knife until small pea sized pieces form. Slowly add water until dough comes together, not sticky. Add 1 tsp additional water if dough is too dry. Do not over handle dough. Roll out half the dough between two sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Peel off top paper and invert into a lightly greased pie dish. Peel off second sheet and fix crust edge. Bake on lower rack in oven. Bake unfilled crust in a 350° oven on bottom rack for 35 to 40 minutes.
Non-dairy: use 8 TBSP Earth Balance margarine and 8 TBSP Earth Balance shortening
(KUSA-TV © 2010 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)