The hottest vacation destination on the Orbitz survey is Las Vegas. Only one foreign city makes the top-ten: Cancun, Mexico.
But Orbitz senior editor Jeanenne Tornatore says 77 percent of Americans plan to take a vacation, which many had put off for a while. She says one-fourth of those surveyed said it's been between two and five years since they took their last vacation.
Tornatore says room rates are showing "a little bit more of an uptick for summer travel," which suggests hotel operators expect stronger demand this summer. Domestic airfares are expected to increase 10 to 20 percent.
But Tornatore says there are some good deals on international air travel, with airfares between the U.S. and Europe dropping about seven percent in the past few weeks. She says, "There are especially good prices to places like Greece, Italy -- even parts of the U.K. if you stay away from London." The city is hosting the summer Olympics.
Overall survey findings:
Top 3 Summer Destinations:
1. Las Vegas, NV - Sin City is always a summer hot spot and travelers can grab great hotels deals for under $100 a night.
2. New York, NY - From Central Park to the Statue of Liberty, plenty of activities to do in the Big Apple and budget conscious travelers can find hotel rooms for around $200/night.
3. Orlando, FL - The family-friendly city is home to Disney's newest resort, Art of Animation, opening May 31st, where rooms start at just $94/night.
Summer Getaway Planning:
· 28% of people plan to travel for Memorial Day this year.
· 77% surveyed plan on taking a summer vacation this year.
· 47% of people plan to spend $1,500 or less on their summer vacation.
Best Ways to Save on Summer Travel:
· Book a package deal - combine air, hotel and car together to rack up savings.
· Follow the sale - if you don't have a specific destination, pick one that may be on sale.
· Eat at least one meal a day in your hotel room.
· Remember baggage fees - Try and travel with just carry-on luggage.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)