How to help Colorado fire victims

6:10 PM, Jun 13, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

KUSA - There are ways you can help those displaced by the ongoing fires in Colorado.

To make a financial donation, visit the website for the American Red Cross and click on your local chapter (Pikes Peak or Mile High) - or call 1-800 RED CROSS.

Red Cross spokesperson Patricia Billinger says donated funds will go towards Colorado fire relief efforts.

So far, Billinger says the organization is doing well with volunteers and resources. However, she says that could change as the fires rage on.

The Elbert County Emergency Operations Center says they are taking names and numbers of those who are interested in making donations to help people and pets displaced by the fire. Elbert County Emergency Operations can be reached at 303-805-6141. The county says, at this point, their greatest need is animal feed and supplies for cattle, horses, cats and dogs.

The Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region has sent animal law enforcement officers back into evacuated areas to retrieve pets and animals that were left behind.

Evacuees who left animals behind and need the officers to search for them can call the humane society at 719-473-1741. No additional resources or volunteers are needed. But, the humane society says they are accepting monetary donations to aid in animal rescues. Donations can be made at

The Salvation Army says they are in need of volunteers to serve food at their new evacuation center over the weekend. To sign up, go to

(KUSA-TV © 2013 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

Most Watched Videos