LIVE VIDEO: 9NEWS Live at 6:00    Watch
 

Mom says dog saved son from rattlesnake bite

6:42 PM, Oct 21, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

KUSA - When Jennifer Rodriguez's 5-year-old son Milo approached a rattlesnake near the doorway of their Roggen home, the snake bit the family's dog - not Milo.

The dog, a 9-year-old rat terrier Chihuahua-mix named Lucy, got bit twice. Rodriguez believes the dog was protecting her son.

"She's Milo's hero. He thanks her every day," Rodriguez said.

Lucy had to be taken to Pet Emergency Clinic of Northern Colorado, where she was treated with anti-venom medication.

She almost didn't make it.

"The vet said, 'your dog has taken so much venom,'" Rodriguez said.

But Lucy, a dog they adopted from Chihuahua and Small Dog Rescue out of Colorado Springs, survived.

"I love Lucy, I really love her," Milo said.

(KUSA-TV © 2013 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

Most Watched Videos