Failed To Death: Kevin Rosa-Perez

8:30 PM, Nov 13, 2012   |    comments
Kevin Rosa-Perez
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
 PDF Document: fatality kevinperez

Age: 2 yrs.
Born: Oct 15, 2009
Died: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Colorado Springs
Suspect in death: Jason Price, uncle

Price pleaded guilty in a military court to involuntary manslaughter in Kevin's Nov. 11, 2011, death. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Kevin's older brother allegedly saw Price throw Kevin on the kitchen floor, according to court testimony reported in The Gazette newspaper in Colorado Springs. Kevin's mother, Rosa Duenas, testified that her other son said the outburst occurred moments after Kevin knocked over some candles while the family was playing video games.

State officials who reviewed Kevin's death found that the night before Kevin was rushed to the emergency room, Price came to the same hospital with his 2-year-old daughter, worried she had overdosed on his prescription Klonopin , a medicine used to used to control seizures in epilepsy and to treat panic disorders. He then asked for a refill of Klonopin and his prescription for Xanax.

He became belligerent when the emergency staff at the hospital would not give him the medications. He left the hospital but returned with his daughter after a doctor asked him to come so they could evaluate her, documents show.

Toxicology tests found no Klonopin in the child's system, but she appeared to have genital bruising, which the family said came from straddling a rocking horse. A sexual assault nurse examiner evaluated the child and found the bruising consistent with the family's statements about the rocking horse. The hospital kept her overnight for further observation.

The incident regarding the trip to the hospital with the daughter was not immediately reported to the El Paso County Department of Human Services and was made known to child-protective workers only after Kevin was brought in with the injuries that would cause his death.

Price and his wife previously were reported to child-protective workers in August of 2011, two months before Kevin and his brother came to live him. Child- protective workers were told that the Price children, ages 2, 4 and 5, allegedly were being left home alone. The child- protective staff decided there was validity to the complaint and made a finding of lack of supervision.

After Kevin's death, state officials reviewing the death said they were concerned that the hospital staffers had not immediately reported Price's earlier visit to the hospital with his daughter. They added they also were concerned that child-protective workers took six weeks to interview Price's wife about the allegation of lack of supervision.

 Read Fatality Report

Most Watched Videos