Prize Chihuahuas lost in Byers house fire

11:18 AM, Dec 22, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

No people were injured, but their house was destroyed and multiple dogs died in the fire on County Road 181.

The family's veterinarian, Dr. Jennifer Casebeer from Living Springs Veterinary Care in Bennett, says she's caring for three dogs who survived.

Dr. Casebeer says the owners are James and Marty Housley, who just moved to Byers within the past year.

She says Marty Housley tried to break windows of the home to get the dogs out but couldn't reach them.

All the dogs that died in the fire were Chihuahuas, which the Housleys were raising to be show dogs.

Byers, Bennett and Buckley fire districts all responded.

Firefighters said the blaze started in the back of the home. The roof caved in completely, and the floor is considered unstable.

Outreach through Arapahoe County will be helping the displaced family.

Dr. Casebeer says there's a fund set up at the High Plains Bank in Bennett called the Housley Fire Victims Fund. Call 303-644-4900.

Donations are also being accepted at:
P.O. Box 818
Byers, CO 80103

(KUSA-TV © 2012 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

Most Watched Videos