South Metro Fire and Rescue was called to the vacant lot on Heather Drive around 1 p.m.
Crews had the fire under control within 20 minutes. Four homes in the immediate area were evacuated, although none were damaged.
Sarah Stratmann says she heard her dogs start barking, then saw the fire burning just yards away from her home.
She called 911, packed her dogs and a few valuables into her car and evacuated.
Everyone evacuated was able to return to their homes shortly afterwards.
There's no word on how the fire started, although neighbors say they thought it was kids playing with fireworks.
(KUSA-TV © 2013 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)