Investigators look for CO detector in home where family died

6:52 PM, Dec 2, 2008   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

According to Pitkin County building code, a CO alarm was required in the home.

Friends found the bodies of Parker Lofgren, 39, Caroline Lofgren, 42, and their children, Owen, 10, and Sophie, 8, Nov. 28. The sheriff's department believes vents in the snowmelt and heating system leaked carbon monoxide into the home at 10 Popcorn Lane, about four miles east of Aspen.

Investigators say the family's bodies were found in a bedroom two floors above the crawlspace which houses mechanical equipment for the home and where the leaks are believed to be.

Since 2004, Pitkin County building code has required all newly constructed homes to have at least one carbon monoxide detector. In 2009, the code will be revised to require a CO detector on every level of the home.

The Lofgren family lived in Denver and did not own the home near Aspen. Parker Lofgren was a co-founder and managing director of St. Charles Capital in Denver. According to its Web site, St. Charles Capital provides investment banking services for middle-market companies.

Family members say Caroline Lofgren was involved with several charity boards, including Girls Incorporated of Metro Denver and the Colorado Symphony Orchestra. She also helped raise money for Historic Denver.

(Copyright KUSA*TV. All rights reserved.)

Most Watched Videos