LIVE VIDEO: 9NEWS Evening Newscast    Watch

Carbon monoxide detector bill up again

5:23 PM, Jan 7, 2009   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Lauren Johnson, 23, of Vancouver, Wash., died Monday after being taken from a unit at a Denver apartment building, according to Michelle Weiss-Samaras, Denver's chief deputy coroner. Investigators said a faulty boiler vent that was damaged during a windstorm may have led to high levels of carbon monoxide in the unit.

Johnson was a graduate student at the University of Denver.

State Sen. Chris Romer, a Denver Democrat whose district includes Johnson's apartment building, said Wednesday he will ask legislative leaders to speed up consideration of a bill so it could become law by next week.

Bill sponsor Rep. John Soper, D-Thornton, said he wants to have testimony on the bill -- but that it's possible legislation could be passed within the first month of the 2009 session that began Wednesday.

A similar measure failed last year following opposition from home builders.

In November, four members of a Denver family died in a luxury home near Aspen where high levels of carbon monoxide were found. Romer also represented that family - Parker and Caroline Lofgren and their two children.

(Copyright Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Most Watched Videos