Dog electrocuted in parking lot leads to civil lawsuit

6:56 AM, Sep 16, 2010   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

It happened last October near West 38th Avenue and Vrain Street in Denver.

A civil lawsuit filed Tuesday in Denver District Court alleges a contractor had driven some rebar into an active power line.

That caused Scott Evans to be shocked while trying to rescue his dog, Asha, who came in contact with about 277 volts of electricity flowing on the parking lot surface.

Asha died on the way to the vet.

The lawsuit filed by the Animal Law Center alleges none of the contractors involved will take responsibility for failing to contact the Utility Notification Center of Colorado before doing their work.

9NEWS contacted the four contractors named in the lawsuit: Sabell's Enterprises LLLP; Palace Construction Co., Inc.; Piper Electric Co., Inc. and Xcel Energy.

Xcel was the only company to return our calls.

A spokesperson says because Xcel has not received a copy of the lawsuit, it is unable to comment at this time.

(KUSA-TV © 2010 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

Most Watched Videos