Poisonous meatballs being thrown to dogs near DU

11:14 PM, Dec 7, 2011   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

At least three homes were targeted near the University of Denver campus this week, and neighbors say their children could have easily have gotten a hold of the tainted meat.

"It is scary, especially with children involved," said one lady who wanted us to hide her identity out of fear of retaliation.

That lady noticed her dog acting weird earlier in the week.

"A lot of vomiting, diarrhea, she didn't move, just really sick. Wouldn't go outside all day," she said.

That same day her neighbor stopped by and said the same thing happened to his dog. He brought his dog to a veterinarian and the vet told him the dog had been poisoned.

The man searched through his backyard and found a few meat balls scattered around his property. The other neighbors saw their dogs go after something similar.

"It's really sad when someone targets animals," one of the neighbors said.

What's even more disturbing for the folks who live on South Yale Avenue, is a few of them have small children.

"We do have a little baby and it's a concern bringing something through the dog door. Babies always put something in their mouth," a neighbor said.

If you notice your pet biting in to something that you suspect might be poisonous, veterinarians say bring them to an animal clinic right away.

"At any point it could happen again," the neighbor said.

Similar incidents have been recently reported in Firestone and Gunnison.

(KUSA-TV © 2011 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

Most Watched Videos