LITTLETON - The mental health patient, who made threats against Littleton Adventist Hospital, as well as a local Target store, tells 9NEWS he is returning to the hospital.
Earlier on Thursday, 9NEWS got a hold of a safety alert issued by Littleton Police. The alert was never meant to be seen by the public, according to Littleton Police.
The alert explained how the patient was admitted to Littleton Adventist on an M1 hold for suicidal and homicidal thoughts in early April.
It went on to say the patient had purchased an assault rifle and had planned to shoot up Littleton Adventist Hospital and a local Target store.
The patient had been released from the hospital on Monday April 22. Littleton Police said they had not been able to make contact with the patient throughout the week.
Littleton Police also said they were making welfare checks at the patients' relatives' homes to see if he was there.
Littleton Police said they only wanted to talk to the patient, but they didn't plan to arrest him.
As of 3pm Thursday, Littleton Police said they had still not heard from him.
Later on, they retracted that statement and sent us an apology.
"After asking around, we have had a phone conversation with him. Apparently, he called around noon. I apologize. I was not aware that the conversation had taken place when I spoke to you earlier. Don't know the nature of the conversation or from where he was calling," said Commander Trent Cooper with Littleton Police.
When 9NEWS went to the patient's home on Thursday, he opened the door, told 9NEWS Reporter Todd Walker he was going back to the hospital, and then slammed the door.
Earlier in the day, Littleton Police staffed armed officers at Littleton Adventist due to the threats. The officers were later pulled back after the hospital hired its own armed guards and placed them in the ER.
9NEWS has decided to not name the patient or show his picture since police are no longer looking to talk to him.
(KUSA-TV © 2013 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)