CENTENNIAL - The Arapahoe County Sheriff says police acted heroically and did just as they're trained.
They ran into the school, despite what could have been an even more dangerous situation.
The sounds from the police scanner during the shooting paint a picture of confusion but also determination.
Some of the quotes that stood out were:
(Warning: A few of the following quotes could be disturbing to some.)
- "The school is going on lockdown and I'm not sure why."
- "Can we get an ambulance please? There's smoke ... northside of the school."
- "There's a fire in the library. Come to the forum. It's on the northside."
- "I'm on the northside. I don't hear anything ... There's a student down in the athletic hall ... She's bleeding bad."
- "I'm on the west side of the school. The entrance is by the trash. There's heavy smoke in here. I don't here any active shots right now. If the school is locked down, we have a student with a bad head injury in the athletic hallway."
- "Shotgun shell on the ground. I'm assuming they have a shotgun. I see two shotgun shells on the ground right here."
- "Have you notified LPS security? Do they have some description of a shooter?"
- "There's one student down. I see three shotguns shells on the ground. See if they can turn the fire alarm off."
- "Rescue with our victim by the glass doors."
- "At this time, we do have one student down, and they have found shotgun shells."
- "It smells like there's gasoline in the area of the shooter."
(KUSA-TV © 2013 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)