FORT COLLINS - A woman denied a medical-marijuana dispensary license after a prostitution conviction is suing Fort Collins, claiming the intended sex act was a Hindu religious activity.
The complaint disputes the city's finding that Melody Kenyon, 56, lacks the "good moral character" required by Colorado statute to operate a marijuana store. The Dec. 11 filing describes the case of soliciting prostitution at a Nebraska hotel as a misunderstanding.
An undercover agent with Omaha Police Department in 2012 arranged through a female-escort website to meet Kenyon at the Candlewood Suites and paid her $120 before she offered to "use her vagina to alleviate his wand chakra," according to the results of an investigative report the city cited in documents denying the license.
Kenyon intends to open a marijuana dispensary named The Canna King at 5740 South College Avenue, Unit B, with an optional cultivation site at 1225 Blue Spruce Drive, Unit F. She would have 90 percent ownership of the company while her partner, Eric Theodore would own the other 10 percent, according to the city's documents.
But Theodore didn't initially reveal a previous arrest in the application, and he was mentioned in city documents as attempting to deceive the system: the other reason the application was denied. The lawsuit addresses both issues and says the city's reasons "reek of hypocrisy, since the City of Fort Collins itself engages in criminal behavior" by allowing marijuana sales for profit in violation of federal law.
Kenyon and her attorney, Rob Corry, didn't respond to requests for comment by deadline Monday. The lawsuit was filed after an attempt to appeal the city's denial of the application in September. Numerous friends and family submitted letters of support for Kenyon.
Among them was Rev. Dr. Don Hauck, pastor and president of The Universal Light, Inc., of Cincinnati, who describes "Rev. Melody Kenyon" as an ordained minister.
"The rituals in Tantra seek to interconnect two individuals so completely that these individuals are eventually able to enter each others' 'dream state,' feel each others' passions and pleasures, pains and sorrows," according to Hauck's letter, adding that Kenyon is a certified practitioner. "I truly believe someone forgot to recognize her Constitutional Rights."
The Universal Light's website offers certificates to become an ordained minister for $75.
Kenyon pleaded guilty to soliciting prostitution, a misdemeanor, and was fined $250, according to the Omaha, Neb. City Prosecutor's office. She had the court set aside the conviction, but that's not the same as sealing it or otherwise keeping it out of public records, according to an attorney with the office.
In October 2007, Kenyon was charged with felony menacing after she was accused of waving a knife in a stabbing motion at two people in the bathroom of a home on the 5800 block of Timberline Road. She pleaded guilty to third-degree harassment, a misdemeanor, successfully completed a year of probation and had the charge dismissed, according to court records.
Police in the background investigation found she'd been arrested two other times but was never convicted of a felony.
The Fort Collins City Attorney's Office declined to comment on the lawsuit.
(Copyright © 2013 Fort Collins Coloradoan, All Rights Reserved)