LIVE VIDEO: 9NEWS Morning News    Watch
 

Don't let your holiday go up in flames

10:06 AM, Dec 18, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

KUSA - A cozy, warm fireplace, holiday cooking or the glow from a candle: Nothing says potential holiday fire hazard like any or all of the above.

Before your friends and family visit you for the holidays, National TV Consumer Reporter Steve Filmer has tips to keep your loved ones safe this winter.

Who doesn't love a wood burning fire in the fireplace? Unfortunately, according to the National Fire Protection Association , home heating fires are the second leading cause of all home fires in the U.S., with 38 percent of those involving the fireplace or chimney. The new, all natural Pine Mountain Creosote Buster Firelog can help break down creosote by burning one log every 40 fires.

Consider using flameless candles. The NFPA reports that December is the peak month for candle fires, one-third of which start in the bedroom. Steve will share important reminders for burning candles in the home.

Keep a fire extinguisher nearby when cooking over an open flame. Tundra Fire Extinguishing Spray is effective on common household fires including paper, fabric, wood, cooking oil and electrical fires. It's intuitive and can be used by old and young alike.

Do be alarmed! Have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on all levels of the home, especially outside the sleeping areas.

(KUSA-TV © 2013 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

Most Watched Videos