Inside Story: Newstip about unfinished kitchens leads to offers of help

4:05 PM, Dec 22, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

DENVER - When 9NEWS received a newstip about a remodeling business bankruptcy that left customers with unfinished kitchens, our reporting led to help for affected consumers.

Since 9Wants to Know investigator Will Ripley broke the story on Tuesday night, we've been hearing from even more customers with unfinished kitchens.

Kara Baalman sent a photo of her kitchen, with no cabinet doors, sink, or countertops.

Ballman is one of more than a dozen people who hired Denver-based Kitchens 4 Less.

The remodeling business is bankrupt, leaving many of its customers with unfinished kitchens.

Families claim they paid thousands of dollars for jobs that are still incomplete.

After seeing our story, a local plumber is offering to help those families.

And Curtis Ryan, owner of The Granite Guy, is also offering help.

"Obviously we do the granite counter tops being from The Granite Guy. We just want to help them out, as much as we can. We're going to do it for as low as we can do it cost wise. It makes me feel good to be able to help people out. And at the same time, its kind of a bummer that there are still people out there who run their businesses this way where they take people's money and don't deliver a product," Ryan said.

The Better Business Bureau received 14 complaints about Kitchens 4 Less in the last 3 years.

The owner, Herman Hinojosa, blames a lack of qualified labor and too many jobs.

He says he's doing what he can to make things right for customers with unfinished kitchens.

Denver BBB spokesperson Megan Herrera provided 9NEWS with the following list of consumer tips:

- If the payment was made via credit card within the last 60 days, file a dispute with your credit card company.

- If a company files for bankruptcy, (which Kitchens 4 Less has) submit a Proof of Claim form to the Colorado Bankruptcy Court. Forms for Kitchens 4 Less must be received by Jan. 17, 2014.

- If you are owed a large amount of money, contact a private attorney and/or your county authorities.

- File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau at Even if the complaint doesn't help get your money back quickly, it helps inform the public and can lead to action that may eventually produce restitution.

(KUSA-TV © 2013 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

Most Watched Videos