KUSA - Adult children often notice changes in their parents during the holidays.
You may have noticed personality changes such as a parent getting upset by noise from large family gatherings, anxiety from traveling to another home, increased forgetfulness.
Your parent may not be able to get meals made or follow recipes like they used to.
They may have trouble with balance, falling often.
Bills laying around unpaid or large checks made to strangers or questionable organizations
Personal hygiene issues--not changing clothes or keeping up appearance when someone was also spotless and well groomed
Your older loved one may not participate in clubs, church, gathering with friends
The 10 Warning Signs of Alzheimer's are:
1. Memory changes that disrupt daily life
- Not knowing people's names or where the car is parked
2. Challenges planning and solving problems
- Adjusting the schedule for al the family members
- Bills that have gone unpaid or large checks written to strangers or suspect organizations.
3. Difficulty completing familiar tasks
- Can't follow a familiar family recipe
- Managing the decorating, wrapping, and meal planning
4. Confusion with time and place
- Don't understanding when someone is arriving or departing and continually asking when
5. Trouble understanding spatial relationships or visual images
- Dropping things, tripping over things or increased falling
6. New problems with speaking or writing
-Struggles with holding a conversation, remembering the words for familiar objects
7.Misplace things in unusual places and unable to retrace steps
- Often finds purse in the fridge, car keys in the microwave oven
- Can't retrace where they were last to locate lost item
8. Decreased or poor judgment
- Get easily lost driving, doesn't look before walking onto a busy street, out shoveling snow in freezing temperatures underdressed for the cold
- Struggles with finding the right house in a long-lived in neighborhood
9. Withdrawal from work or social activities
- Quits weekly bowling league or bridge group and become isolated
10. Changes in mood or personality
- Normally happy, sweet, and easy going, now grumpy or always angry
- Gets anxious if away from home for too long, gets upset with loud noises or talking/laughing during family meals and gatherings
When families see symptoms they are concerned about, you can call the Alzheimer's Association of Colorado 1-800-272-3900 or go online to alz.org/co.
Care planning, education, support groups and the 24-hour bilingual Helpline are offered at no cost to families across Colorado.
(KUSA-TV © 2014 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)