Sources: Sterling toddler killed in fire tested positive for THC

2:38 PM, Jan 18, 2014   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

STERLING - Multiple sources said the 2-year-old boy who died in a fire inside his parents' rental home in Sterling earlier in the week tested positive for THC, the active ingredient in marijuana.

Levi Welton was not breathing and unconscious when Sterling firefighters pulled him out of his bedroom's closet on Monday night.

Sources close to the family said Levi and his brother had strands of their hair taken from them the week before the fire. The results of that test came back positive for pot just hours before the fire erupted inside the family's home.

Levi had been living with foster parents as recently as last month. 9Wants to Know has learned the boy was returned to his biological parents in December.

That has led some people to question whether Levi should have been in the house in the first place.

There were already serious questions about their home environment and the family was in close contact with Logan County Human Services.

The fire itself remains a mystery. No cause has come out, and the cause of death hasn't been released either.

The boy's father burned his hand in the fire, he says trying to rescue his son.

Julia Welton, Levi's mother, is a medical marijuana user. She was adamant that her boys would have never come into contact with the now legal drug.

"I never once smoked it around my children," she said during an interview earlier in the week. "I always had a designated place. I had a lock box, and everything of my medical use stuff was in that lock box."

Logan County Human Services can't talk about the case due to confidentiality issues. No one has been charged in the case. The investigation could take weeks.

(KUSA-TV © 2014 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

Most Watched Videos