A chocolate truffle torte cake is seen in Vienna on April 20, 2013. Cakes and pastries are a very popular feature of Austria's cuisine. AFP PHOTO / ALEXANDER KLEIN (Photo credit should read ALEXANDER KLEIN/AFP/Getty Images)
KUSA- Moist, warm and delectable cake paired with smooth, sugary and creamy chocolate is America's favorite type of cake and a sensational treat that is perfect for any graduation, birthday party and wedding.
You guessed it, Monday is National Chocolate Cake Day! What better way to celebrate than to whip up your own chocolate cake from one of these healthy and scrumptious recipes.
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 packed cups grated zucchini (don't peel it)
1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven at 350 F. Spray two 9×5 inch pans with nonstick grease spray.
2. In a bowl, mix and stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, beat the sugar and eggs until light and fluffy.
4. Add oil and vanilla.
5. Add to the dry ingredients along with the zucchini and chocolate chips.
6. Stir until all ingredients are combined and divide equally into pans.
7. Bake for about 50 minutes.
Chocolate Beet Cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup canola or other vegetable oil
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 medium beets, roasted and peeled
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. In a bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
3. In another similar sized bowl, whip together the oil, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, and oil.
4. Using the large side of the grater, grate the beets.
5. Mix ingredients together along with the beets and stir until all ingredients are equally combined.
6. Pour into a well-greased Bundt pan and bake for an hour.
7. Let cool for 15-20 minutes.
Gluten-Free Chocolate Quinoa Cake
2/3 cup white or golden quinoa
1 1/3 cup water
1/3 cup milk
4 large eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1. Bring the water and quinoa to a boil in a pot.
2. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Turn off the heat and leave pot on the burner for 10 minutes.
4. Mix and fluff with a fork and allow the quinoa to cool.
5. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
6. Lightly grease two 8-inch round or square cake pans. Line the bottoms of the pans with parchment paper.
7. Combine the eggs, vanilla, and milk in a blender. Add 2 cups cooked quinoa and butter and continue to blend ingredients until desired consistency.
8. Whip together the sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
9. Add the contents of the blender and mix well.
10. Divide the batter and bake on the center oven rack for 40 minutes.
Also check out our Pinterest board for more fun and healthy chocolate cake recipes at: http://www.pinterest.com/9news/national-chocolate-cake-day-ideas/
(KUSA-TV © 2014 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)