Broncos fall flat before halftime

6:51 PM, Feb 2, 2014   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - This is not what the Denver Broncos were expecting.

After a number of problems against the Seattle defense, the Broncos trailed 22-0 at halftime in Super Bowl XLVIII at MetLife Stadium.

The biggest comeback in Super Bowl history is 10 points by Washington against the Broncos in Super Bowl XXII. Denver will have to do make some serious halftime adjustments to get out of this hole.

The Seahawks dominated the first quarter for an 8-0 lead and then took over in the second quarter.

Denver had just 11 total yards, no first downs, and gave up a safety and interception in the first quarter. A second-quarter interception by Seattle's Malcolm Smith, which he returned 69 yards for a touchdown and a 22-0 lead, officially turned things from bad to worse.

After the interception return, Denver got the ball back with just over 3 minutes left in the half but didn't get on the scoreboard. Instead the team chose to go for it on fourth-and-2 from the Seattle 19 with 1:03 to play. Peyton Manning's pass to Demaryius Thomas was short, and the Seahawks took over and ran off the final minute of the half.

Manning was 17-of-23 passing for 104 yards in the first half, but the interceptions were killers. Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson was just 9-of-14 for 94 yards, but had key third-down plays.

The game didn't start well as the Broncos gave up a safety on the first offensive play after Trindon Holliday came out of the end zone from six yards deep on the kickoff and was stopped at the 14-yard line.

Broncos center Manny Ramirez flew the first snap past quarterback Peyton Manning and into the end zone. The Seahawks had a 2-0 lead just 12 seconds into the game. It was the quickest score in Super Bowl history.

From there, nothing seemed to go right, even when the Broncos finally put together a decent drive late in the first half.

After the safety, the Seahawks took the ensuing Britton Colquitt punt back to their 36-yard line. After picking up three first downs and losing a challenge on a spot, Seattle claimed a 5-0 lead on a 31-yard field goal less than five minutes into the game.

Denver's second drive got a boost after the kick went through the end zone and the Seahawks were called for a personal foul, moving the ball to the Broncos' 35-yard line to start. But they picked up just seven yards and had to punt.

Denver's defense had another big stand, holding Seattle to a second field goal for an 8-0 lead after that 13-play drive with 2:16 left in first quarter. To that point Manning had just four offensive plays.

Manning threw just his second interception of the postseason. This one set up Seattle on the Broncos' 37-yard line with 59 seconds left in first quarter.

Seattle scored seven plays later on Marshawn Lynch's 1-yard for a 15-0 lead three minutes into the second quarter. The drive was aided by Broncos pass interference in the end zone by Tony Carter, setting up the ball at the 1-yard line.

Denver picked up its first first down of the game with 10:30 left in the first half, and was a sustained drive Broncos fans have been used to this season.

But it stalled after a first-down holding penalty, and Manning's second interception that Smith returned for a 22-0 lead.

(KUSA-TV © 2014 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

Most Watched Videos