LAKEWOOD - A gas leak venting right out of the ground in Lakewood forced nearby Alameda International High School to evacuate Wednesday.
"I don't know, I was scared, but I'm glad we got to go home so that we're all safe," Yasmin Garcia, sophomore, said.
The gas leak, near the intersection of West Arizona Avenue and Wadsworth Boulevard, is adjacent to the school.
"It kinda smells like a weird sulfur smell," Curtis Darling, freshman, said. "I think it's a really smart decision because it could have gotten into the school."
Alameda High School decided to dismiss early on Wednesday as a result of the gas leak.
"Our main concern was getting students home safely," Michelle French, West Metro Fire Rescue public information officer, said.
According to Xcel Energy, their crews were working on a sewer line when a line may have been clipped just before noon.
"When [firefighters] got on scene, they could smell a heavy odor of gas and could see some venting from the ground," French said.
Crews were digging around outside of the school looking for the source of the gas leak.
"I know that they are looking for that gas leak and what's causing it. And, they had shutdown Wadsworth for a time trying to determine if the gas leak had actually crossed over into Wadsworth," French said.
The concerns over a possible explosion caused the Jefferson County School District to start moving students away from the gas leak towards the other end of the school.
Some students were also told to remain inside their classrooms.
However, after about 20 minutes, the district decided to evacuate the building, dismissing students for the day.
Xcel Energy shut down the natural gas lines on the block as a precaution. Fire fighters believe that the entire area is safe.
Classes will resume Thursday.
"Everybody's in a hurry and wanting to get out of there," Yasmin said.
(KUSA-TV © 2014 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)