Hostage speaks out after ordeal

4:48 PM, Feb 5, 2014   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

ARVADA - The victim of an 18-hour-long hostage situation on Tuesday released a statement on Wednesday regarding his ordeal.

Connor Scott's family said the following:

"The Ben-Joseph and Scott families would first like to thank God and all of our family, friends and the public for their support and prayers for Connor's safe return. Our son is safe and home, and our first concern is his care and safety as we try to return to normal life.

Connor is in good spirits and very happy to be back with his family. His strength and bravery through this ordeal is truly amazing and we continue to shower him with hugs and kisses as we all begin to heal.

We would like to give a heartfelt thank you to the Arvada Police Department, Jefferson County Regional SWAT, Westminster SWAT, Lakewood/Wheat Ridge combined SWAT, Jefferson County District Attorney's Office, Arvada Fire Protection District, Adam's County Sheriff's Office and the Department of Corrections for their diligent work in returning our son safely back to us. We would more specifically like to thank Officer Dave Snelling of the Arvada Police Department for his support and assistance through this most trying time; your friendship, caring, and professionalism truly helped us through an impossible situation. Thank you to the Agape Life Church and Pastor Rich for opening your doors to us.

While this incident may be ending, it will be on-going for us as we work to bring our son's life and family's lives back to normal. Therefore, we ask that you respect our son's privacy and allow him to return to his life without interruption from the press."

The situation all started after a domestic dispute around 5:30 p.m. on Monday in the 6100 block of Gray Street.

When officers arrived on the scene for that domestic dispute, the man involved, later identified as Don Pooley, had fled the scene and into a different home in the same block.

When the suspect barged into that home, he took a teenage boy hostage. The boy's mother and brother arrived on the scene right when the hostage situation started, so they were not taken hostage.

Around 11:15 a.m., SWAT team members shot the suspect through the front door. The hostage was taken safely out of the home.

The homes surrounding the home involved in the situation were evacuated, and several roads in the area were blocked off.

(KUSA-TV © 2014 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

Most Watched Videos