DENVER - A fire that broke out just before 5 a.m. on Friday engulfed a home and garage in the 1400 block of South Bellaire Street in Denver.
The family who lived in the house watched from across the street with neighbors as firefighters worked to extinguish the fire.
A firefighter said the two people who lived in the home made it out safely on their own before firefighters arrived.
Laine Olmstead, the homeowner's son, said firefighters told his family that Sasha, the families' poodle-terrier mix, died in the fire.
Olmstead's parents had three dogs and a cat. Two dogs are safe. The cat has not been located.
It is not known how badly the home was damaged.
Firefighters were also spraying water onto a neighboring home.
It is not known if the neighboring home was damaged.
(KUSA-TV © 2014 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)