LAKEWOOD - It was 37 degrees around 5 a.m. when residents of an apartment building at 788 South Reed Ct. in Lakewood were evacuated from their building because of an odor of natural gas and a "whomping" noise, according to the West Metro Fire Protection District.
Firefighters reported a strong odor of natural gas and witnessed three explosions in the furnace room, but there was not a fire, and the explosions do not appear to have caused any damage.
The gas to the building has been shut off, and Xcel Energy has been notified.
The cause of the explosion noises is under investigation.
It is not known when residents will be allowed to return to their homes.
(KUSA-TV © 2014 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)