LIVE VIDEO: 9NEWS Morning News    Watch

Parents of murdered soldier attends sentencing, remember son

8:48 PM, Mar 7, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

DENVER - The parents of a murdered Fort Carson soldier walked into a Denver courtroom on Thursday knowing the outcome of what was about to happen was already preordained.  

It was late last year when a jury found Ricky Scott guilty of the first-degree murder of Sgt. Anthony Silva. Scott was sentenced Thursday to a mandatory term of life in prison without parole.

Illinois residents Diane and Dave Silva knew the hearing would also represent the final chapter of a legal saga that has taken up the better part of the last year and a half of their lives. 

"We've got a lifetime without Tony. [Scott] has got a lifetime in prison. That's the way I see it," Diane Silva said. "I just think Ricky Scott needs to be off the streets forever so he doesn't do this to anyone else."

It was back in the summer of 2011 when Denver Police investigators surmised that Scott shot Silva twice in the chest not too long after an apparent marijuana deal. Silva's body was found near the hotel he was staying at for the night.

Sgt. Silva was a month away from an Army discharge and was getting ready to start a new chapter in his life when he was murdered. 

"He had texted us that day that even with the travel problems he was having he was the luckiest guy in the world," Dave Silva said. 

That day's warm weather had forced Sgt. Silva to change his travel plans. He originally planned on flying out of Colorado Springs, but Dave Silva says when the airline told Tony he couldn't get his pets onboard the full flight, he opted to meet his dad in Denver where the two would drive back to Illinois together.

The two had planned to meet at the Motel 6 the following day. When Dave Silva showed up expecting to see his son, he was met by a Denver Police detective.  It became pretty obvious what was happening.

"They were asking for identifying marks [of my son]. And of course, in this day of technology I had a smart phone and I had a photo of him," he said.

Scott did not speak during Thursday's sentencing hearing. His public defender said he plans on an appeal of the conviction.  

(KUSA-TV © 2013 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

Most Watched Videos