LIVE VIDEO: 9NEWS Morning News    Watch

Dozens displaced after Westminster apt building explosion

2:47 PM, Mar 17, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

WESTMINSTER - Six people were injured in a laundry room fire Sunday morning in Westminster.

At 10:08 a.m., a fire was reported at the Lakeview Apartments near 68th Avenue and Lowell Boulevard.

Authorities say there was a loud explosion in the building. Crews were able to control the fire in the laundry room and had it out by 10:17 a.m.

Neighbors who were inside the building say they heard a loud explosion, saw smoke and glass everywhere. They said they got out as soon as they could because they didn't know what was happening.

"This morning we woke up to an explosion and everybody running around. We opened up the door and saw into the window. It seemed like it was a gas explosion. The whole floor was shaking and the blinds shook," Gennaro Carmosino said.

A total of six people were reported injured. Three were transported to local hospitals and one of them was in critical condition with burns. Authorities say that person was in the laundry room using the dryer and could have died. 

"All the residents of the structure have been relocated to the clubhouse until we can determine if the building is safe or not. We are still investigating. We don't know if it came from the boiler or a gas line. We know that there was an explosion and at this time we've been able to secure the utilities to the building," Jeff Wofford, spokesperson for Westminster Fire said.

Westminster Fire Department says a gas leak in the laundry room dryer sparked the blaze. They say some residents reported smelling gas to the maintenance crew at around 10 a.m. Sunday.

Around eighty people were displaced due to the fire. Investigators say they will not be allowed back inside until the integrity of the building is secure.



(KUSA-TV © 2013 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

Most Watched Videos