Amber Johnson, editor of the Denver Post's Mile High Mamas appeared on 9NEWS Friday morning.
"If you are planning on taking a long trip with the kids this holiday, I call this my survival guide," Johnson said.
Here is her top 10 list:
For even more travel tips or tips on parenting, go to: www.MileHighMamas.com.
- Books on tape: Johnson says this is a fantastic way to pass the time,
particularly when parents need a break from being the entertainment
- Trip journals: Johnson told us that she just made a
trip journal with her kids at Disney. This is entertaining and
- Maps: Here is a great way to also have the
children active in the travel plans. They can map out the trip and learn
at the same time.
- Coloring/craft projects: Johnson has a
travel easel for each child and puts a laundry basket in between the
kids with coloring books, crafts, tape, pipe cleaners, crayons, etc.
- Movies: You can bring lots of videos and even a portable DVD player.
- iPad/Nintendo DS: Johnson says an iPad and those apps are a lifesaver for bored kids.
- Dollar store: Get your kids to do chores around the house before the trip to earn money to buy cheap toys.
- Travel games: Johnson says get an enclosed container so you don't lose the pieces.
- Books: Have your kids read to you in the car.
- Healthy snacks: Johnson says take plenty of fresh fruit, nuts, trail mix, Pirate's Booty and granola bars.
(KUSA-TV © 2012 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)